Thursday, January 27, 2011

Is this Really My Job?


September 13, 2010
This past weekend we had a leader weekend on the Eastern Shore. We went to this YMCA camp called Camp Silver Beach. I was incredibly nervous, this was the first time I would be with these leaders and get to know them more intimately and share my heart with them! Let me just set the scene for you there were 18 guy leaders and Chesapeake guys are funny, they ALL wear vans literally not one was wearing regular shoes. They all have inside jokes about videos they have seen on youtube or dumb things someone has said but something so special about them is that they are always laughing and enjoying one another. Now there are a few less girls, there are 5 girl leaders including myself, these girls are beautiful and wonderful and completely sold out for Christ and for this ministry and are so loving of each other and affirming. BUT SERIOUSLY 18 GUYS??? LORD WHAT THE HECK??? So as a girly girl you can see how intimidating Chesapeake can be at times.
Jesus said in the book of John to His 12 discples: “A new command I give you: Love on another. As I have loved you, so you MUST love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another.” This is a verse shared often among those who are sharing the truth of Christ with others and I feel as though I have seen it act out a fair amount but nothing like I had seen among these leaders. The way they love each other, gosh it is beautiful and the way they seek to be with another is truly enamoring. It could be so easy for those guy leaders to just be together and forget about the girls, but they seek out their sisters and want to know us and be with us and walk alongside us and of course laugh with us. I am so thankful for this group of volunteers they truly have taught me so much about what it looks like to love one another and to truly act out the word of God.
Chesapeake is a special place and I cannot believe that the Lord would put me here.
I was telling my Young Life Leader and best friend Carrie this a little while ago, I literally wake up every morning thinking about my day’s events and say out loud “is this really my job? Do I really get to go to the high school today and meet kids? Do I really get to meet with leaders and potential leaders? Do I really get to do this?” I knew what my job would entail (for the most part) but I don’t think I realized how much this was all I have wanted to do with my life, introduce the Gospel and expand the kingdom. I just feel so incredibly lucky that I love going to work everyday. Thank you all for allowing me to do this!
Love always,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment